Thursday, October 8, 2009

There and Back Again (Again)


Well, well, well, (and no I'm not talking about the elephant joke) guess who's repeating history?
Duh it's me.

Tari (very soon to be officially Dr. Turner) has a week long conference in Singapore to be followed by a month of assisting medical staff in Jogjakarta.

Fortunately (?) since I am unemployed I'm going with her.

It's a bit of a longer trip this time, so I'm going to have to be better prepared than last time.

When I quit work I got my long service leave in cash and visited the magical Dell land to score this beautifully screened laptop (yes Dad, I KNOW it has a short battery life).
And because I've pretty much already seen the sights, most of this trip will be me staving off boredom by playing games and watching DVDs.

Games:
Knights of the Old Republic 2 (for some Star Warsy action)
Evil Genius (the next best thing to watching James Bond movies AND taking over the world)
Mass Effect (because everybody else in the world played it on their X Boxes but I got it cheap on Steam)
Trine (for some platformyness)
And, of course,
Plants vs. Zombies (because nobody hates zombies quite so much as a shrubbery)

As for DVDs, if you want the list:
West Wing (seasons 1, 2 and 3) for Tari after-work-hours viewing.
24 Season 5 (good time-killer)
Get Smart Season 2 (would you believe I got it on sale?)
The Blues Brothers (for hairbrush/microphone sing songs)
3rd Rock from the Sun Seaon 6 (just in case Tari needs some comedy, it's for her, honest)
The Angry Beavers Six Disc Collection (um, just in case I baby sit, you know, kids or whatever)
Wayne's World (party time, it's excellent)
Star Wars eps 1-6 (you thought Luke was whiny, you wait until I've been a week cooped up)
The War of the Worlds live on stage (for when I want to act like a conductor)
Futurama all four seasons (because I never get tired of bad jokes)
Van Helsing (If the Plants are killing Zombies, who is gonna take care of the vampires?)
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan Directors Edition (the good Star Trek movie)
INXS live at Wembley Stadium (great concert, great band)
O Brother Where Art Thou (one of my favorite nap-time movies, guaranteed to help me sleep)
A Prairie Home Companion (one of Tari's faves)
Walking With Dinosaurs, Monsters and Beasts (What's not to love about Dinosaurs?)
The Emperor's New Groove (um, yeah, for, um, baby sitting again)
Aladdin (again, for the kiddies of course)
Kung Fu Panda (wow, how much baby sitting can a guy do!?)
Rat Race (am I winning?)
The Princess Bride (I am NOT left handed!)
Little Shop of Horrors (Rick Moranis, what a cute little guy)
The Fifth Element (I just love the costumes, especially Bruce Willis)




Fortunately I got an uber expensive reject shop case to hold them all.

As you can see, the dogs all seem to have a sixth sense that something is up. It's obvious to look at them that they're distressed and sympathetic and engaged in what is going on.

The plan is pretty boring this time, less sight seeing and interesting stuff:

Saturday morning fly to Darwin then on to Singapore with Jetstar. Yes. I'm looking SO forward to that.

Then it's a week in Singapore, Tari's got a conference there, but I think she has a day off before we fly to Jogja. Once there she's working for a month and I'm watching DVDs and playing computer games =)

We're not staying in the same sort of lush hotel resort this time. As a matter of fact, we still haven't had it confirmed yet. Last we heard they were hoping to score us student accommodation near a uni campus.

I'll keep you informed if they have internet access there!

Anyway, standard compulsory video of the flights below.

Mainly I just wanted to check that this laptop can handle video editing etc. (Any excuse to play with the new toy!)

Other song choices were going to be:
Time keeps on slipping (for the fly like an eagle line). But then I realised that going Jetstar as we are I'd be insulting eagles.
Runaway by Jamiroquai, but I thought that was a bit too negative.
Mahna Mahna by Cake, but the song wasn't long enough.
The Universe Song by Monty Python, but the song was too long and you really have to listen to it all for the punchline.


No promises on blog updates this time, as there's really not going to be much happening (for me anyway) and I won't have internet access from where we stay.

Anyway, back to packing...

1 comment:

mumshirley said...

Hi Simon,
Had to comment. Poor puppies.
Your accom. in Jogyi looks pretty nice. Look forward to more of your humourous blogging
Mumshirley